Tracking Homework Data in Math Class

Homework policies and expectations vary from classroom to classroom. There has been a lot of debate over whether or not to assign homework, how much to assign, etc. For those of you that do assign some sort of homework, this post is for you! In about my third year teaching, I began to get frustrated with the number of students that were not turning in homework consistently, which led me to start thinking about what I could do to help motivate my students to turn in their work!

After walking around at the beginning of each class period and marking off whether each student had their homework complete, I started to keep track of what percentage of students in each class were getting their homework done on time. The idea came to me that I should really be showing my students this data. 

Students like seeing visual representations, and even more so when it is related to what they are doing! I spent some time creating this chart to record their percentages for each assignment. Yes, it did take about an hour or so of work to create... but once finished and laminated, I could easily track, erase, and reuse the chart over and over again!


One quarter's worth of assignments typically fits on the chart, before erasing and starting fresh at the start of each quarter. Separating each class by color really helped with the competition between classes. Every class wanted to be the class with the highest percentage!

Of course, starting to track the homework data didn't eliminate missing work. However, it did get students thinking about their work completion and excited about the idea of possibly reaching 100% as a class! In my opinion, every extra little bit of motivation helps. Not to mention, it brought up some great discussions about how to find each percentage and how to graph the data.

Many districts have a curriculum with options for homework, however if you are looking for options for material to assign as homework, I have several sets of task cards available that could be used for this purpose. Each task card includes 2-5 problems for a specific concept. Each bundle includes approximately 90 different topics. These task cards can be a good option for homework that doesn't include an overwhelming number of problems for each concept!


Have you tried this idea for tracking homework in your classroom? I'd love to see pictures, so feel free to tag me on social media! :)

4 comments :

  1. This education is a very healthy activity for children , This is the one of the best blog. Thanks for sharing everything. I was searching for such information for a long. Thanks for sharing. Best of Luck. Keep doing good work,
    Moto Racing
    Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome article, I appreciate your efforts. Tvs

    Awesome article, I appreciate your efforts. Miter Saw

    Awesome article, I appreciate your efforts. Air Conditioner

    Awesome article, I appreciate your efforts. Bread Maker

    Awesome article, I appreciate your efforts. Chairs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to let the world know about Doctor AKHERE the Great spell caster that brought back my husband to me when i thought all hope was lost. Doctor AKHERE used his powerful spell to put a smile on my face by bringing back my man with his spell, at first i thought i was dreaming when my husband came back to me on his knees begging me to forgive him and accept him back and even since then he loves me more than i ever expected so i made a vow to my self the i will let the World know about Doctor AKHERE because he is a God on earth. Do you have problems in your relationship ? have your partner broke up with you and you still love and want him back ? Do you have problem with your finance ? or do you need help of any kind then contact Doctor AKHERE today for i give you 100% guarantee that he will help you just as he helped me. Doctor AKHERE email is: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

    ReplyDelete